Tuesday, December 3, 2013


Charade and its 007 Twists

I recently had the privilege and pleasure of writing an essay about the 1963 film Charade for Bond_Age_:  The James Bond Social Media Project. My task was not only to discuss the movie, but, perhaps obviously, to compare it to the James Bond franchise of film. I found many remarkable similarities between Charade and the Bond film, From Russia with Love, which was released in the same year. So my essay focused on comparing the plot points and characters in the two films. However, the character similarities between the two movies did not prove to be a simple alignment based on sex. For its era and genre, Charade did a bit a gender bending which was not discernable to me upon my first couple of viewings. And that sexual twist is only one of the many elements that make this film so brilliant.

My essay can be found at http://www.007hertzrumble.com/my-favorite-bond_age_-charade-array-jackson/. The Bond_Age_ project partly consists of a series of essays examining the fifty years of James Bond film, and also includes “imposter” spy films and now Charade, a Bond/spy prototype of the era. Bond_Age_ also hosts weekly live tweet sessions for all the above mentioned films. The project is the brain child of and is wonderfully managed by James David Patrick, #Bond_Age_ @007hertzrumble on your Twitter dial. Check it out.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment